To protect taxpayers against fraud, new bank details or updates will first have to be confirmed before we can make the changes. Any refunds due will only be processed when the banking details have been verified.
Please note: See the info on eFiling profile verification.

How do I add or change banking details?

If you need to add or change banking details it can be done:

Please note: Customs and Excise clients’ needs to visit their nearest SARS Customs branch as registering or changing of banking details can’t be done on eFiling. A completed DA185 – Application form: Registration/Licensing of Customs and Excise and applicable supporting documents must be submitted at a branch.

Top Tip: To use eFiling you must be registered, and may be asked to visit a SARS branch to confirm the information given.
Visiting a SARS branch is the best channel and allows –
Please note: Banking details won’t be updated on the SARS systems if requested by:
  • Email
  • Fax
  • Post
  • Telephone.
Top Tip: Where no valid banking details are recorded on the SARS system, an SMS or email will be sent to the registered cellphone number or email address of the taxpayer/Register Representative.

Who can change banking details?

Only taxpayers, Registered Representatives or Registered Tax Practitioners are allowed to change banking details.
The registered representative’s details must match those on the SARS system. For more information see ‘Single Registration’.
Tax Practitioners are allowed to ask for a change in banking details for taxpayers in all instances and not only in exceptional circumstances. Please note, the requestor with mandate is only allowed to do the changes in exceptional circumstances. For more details on the exceptional circumstances, you can refer to the Change of Banking Details External Guide.
Top Tips:
  • The TPPOA form (Special Power of Attorney by Practitioners) hasn’t been updated yet to remove the exclusion of change of banking details. SARS will accept the form until this is updated.
  • The “Authority on Special Power of Attorney by Tax Practitioner” to the staff member is NOT acceptable for updating bank details.
In special situations SARS will allow a once-off instruction for someone other than the above mentioned people. See the list of exceptions and the supporting documents (relevant material) needed.

What is a valid bank account?

A valid bank account is:
  • A cheque, savings or transmission account
  • In the name of the taxpayer(s)
  • Not a credit card, bond or foreign bank account.

Spouse Accounts (Shared Accounts)

Where spouses share a bank account, both spouses are no longer needed to visit the SARS branch, only the spouse asking for the change to banking details.
All the supporting documents (relevant material) must be provided, including a certified copy of the marriage certificate or affidavit for life partners, whichever applicable.

What is needed to add or change banking details?

To add or change banking details the following supporting documents (relevant material) are needed:
  • The original and a copy of an Identity document (ID)/temporary ID/passport/driving licence/asylum seekers permit of the:
    • Account holder(s)
    • Registered Representative and/or the Registered Tax Practitioner.
Top Tip: Bring along certified copies to speed up the process. Only copies certified by authorised persons will be accepted (e.g. Attorneys, South African Post Office, South African Police Station, etc.). A “true copy” stamp must always accompany the Commissioner of Oaths stamp.

Top Tip: An original bank stamp is no longer needed on the bank statement, unless no statement date is shown.

    • An original recent bank statement not more than three months old
    • An original letter, on a letterhead, from the bank where a new bank account was opened and a statement can’t be provided. The date the bank account was opened must be included
    • An eStamped statement will be accepted not more than three months old
    • Internet statement
    • A statement drawn at an ATM/Internet will be accepted as long as it contains the same information, as if the statement was drawn at the bank.
  • Clearly showing the account:
    • Holder legal name(s)
    • Number
    • Type
    • Branch code and
    • Statement date.
Top Tips:
    • The three months validity period of the bank statement will be checked against the statement date.
    • The bank statement will be accepted even if the initials on the bank statement don’t match the initials on the ID (for example the bank statement reflects ‘SN Smith’ and the ID reflects ‘SNM Smith’).
    • If a taxpayer has opened a new bank account (less than a month old) and cannot produce a bank statement, they will need an original letter from the bank on the bank letterhead with the original bank stamp confirming the account holder’s legal name, account number, account type, branch code and reflecting the date the bank account was opened.
  • Copy of proof of residential or business address of the account holder and the Registered Representative or the Tax Practitioner.

Top Tip: See a list of documents that will be accepted as proof of residential or business address.

Recommended Articles

Leave a Reply

Follow Us!